Hempcity in the press

Dutch Growrooms

Travel reports

Links to friends

Our Cannabis Shops

Image Galleries

Link to Hempcity

Guestbook

Is there any reason not to flower plants under metal halide?

All amateur growers can ask here there questions about growing.

Moderators: deliriumt, cannabinol, milehigh, CoolZero

Is there any reason not to flower plants under metal halide?

Postby midnite2412 » Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:20 am

I only have a small setup with fluro lights for cloning and a metal halide light for veg and flowering. My first girls under this system seem to be budding up well with 12/12 under the 400w metal light. Years ago I used a HPS for flowers successfully but only have the one lamp now.
midnite2412

ok,s

Postby GROWZONE » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:54 am

8) a M/H bulb will flower your plants,but not as good as a sodium bulb 8)
canna-campo http://www.gro-zona.es smoker friendly place to stay in spain
--------------------------
=====================
GROWZONE

• Website

Postby AmeriSkunk » Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:27 am

I heard something about the metal halide bulbs making the thc different, some say its better I don't know I never smoked any flowered under MH bulbs knowingly.

Peace
AmeriSkunk
Hemp City Lover

THC as a plant sunscreen or to prevent drying out.

Postby midnite2412 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:07 am

I have read two theories about the role of thc for the cannabis plant. Some say that the trichomes create a micro climate near the surface of the caylx and leaves to reduce moisture evaporating. Others talk about the sunscreening effect of thc - it sacrifices itself as it absorbs uv light. I was concerned that the uv light from the metal halide might destroy or reduce the potency of the budding girls. Maybe the extra uv forces the plant to make more good stuff. This would support what you've been told AmeriSkunk. There are plenty of trichomes on the plants - I'll have to sample a small amount to see.
midnite2412

Postby George Bush » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:51 pm

some people claim mh are better for growing sativa type strains...........can't see it myself
George Bush

Postby AmeriSkunk » Wed May 02, 2007 3:27 am

They'll grow under either, I personally don't see anything happening except the buds having more leaves in them, on the other hand the trichome debate is up in the air pot doesn't have a brain so we'll never know for sure, my theory is that it trichs if eaten by small bugs will daze them possibly sicken them, and they catch some pollen from males and some pistils usually rin along the trichs, it really could be a hundred different reasons, I think its nieve to think its only a few or one reason for trichs.

Anyhow, catch a cricket or grasshopper and stick them under a cup and shotgun a joint into the cup leave it for a few minutes and the cricket/grasshopper wont be able to move sometimes stand up, you can completely fuck with them there so stoned they cant move, regardless if that is waht trichs are for its still good for a round of laughs. Peace
AmeriSkunk
Hemp City Lover

Re: Is there any reason not to flower plants under metal halide?

Postby urbanite420 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:26 pm

There is no reason not to try. HPS lamps have a spectrum more towards the red wavelenghts, which is actually more like the majority of sun light during autumn/winter. When the sun is "lower" in the atmoshpere more of the red wavelengths diffract towards us, letting us see an orange/red sky in the evening. This actually encourages plants to flower because they think winter is approaching. MH lamps have more of the blue wavelenghts more akin to spring and summer sun, promoting wicked vegetative growth; they also have more UV irradiation, so use sunblock and sun glasses when you are around them -- this extra UV, according to some sources promotes more resin production to protect the DNA of potential seeds it would make if it were allowed.
urbanite420

Re: Is there any reason not to flower plants under metal hal

Postby Black_Zanjay » Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:38 am

Flower plants are not conducive to small areas, as we know that when your vegetative area starts getting a little larger the space is pretty much occupied. And when you are growing plants larger than 24 inches tall vegetative, it will affect the over all balance inside. I think when this happens it is time to break out the metal halides for your indoor lights. Fake Rocks
Last edited by Black_Zanjay on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black_Zanjay

Postby Joe King Park » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Whilst Growing In Canada I Did A Complete Halide Grow ( 3 X 4x4 Tables With A 1000 Halide Above Each Table )
Took Two-Three Weeks Longer Than HPS , But The Yield Was Higher Than With HPS
( 70 Clones -Zero Veg- =2.4 Pounds ( Godbud ) )
Expensive Way Of Growing Herb Though
Joe :)
Branded
Joe King Park

Postby Joe King Park » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:16 pm

Phosphor Coated Halides Are Best For This Type Of Application ( Osram Pears ) :wink:
Joe :)
Branded
Joe King Park

Return to Growing tips